Development Services

Robert W. Pugh, P.E., MBA, CFM, ENVSP, Director


211 Jackson Street | Bastrop, Texas 78602 | (512) 581-7176



For information on how to file a Public Information Request, please visit http://www.co.bastrop.tx.us/page/co.public_information






Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Map and

Flood Insurance Study Report


The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has presented Bastrop County with preliminary copies of the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) and Flood Insurance Study (FIS) Report dated February 11, 2021 for Bastrop County, Texas and incorporated areas.  The FIS Report describes the flood hazard information updates made and the source information used.  FEMA only revised those FIRM panels with updated flood hazard information.  The preliminary FIRM panels can be viewed and/or downloaded from the FEMA portal or hard copies can be viewed in the Development Services Office.   For additional information, please contact Kala Schwabe, Floodplain Administrator, at 512-581-7159.

Hazardous Mitigation Plan Update, October 12, 2021


Hazardous Mitigation Plan Update

On October 4, 2021, three public information sessions was held for the Preliminary Revised FIRM and FIS Report at the Bastrop Convention Center, 1408 Chestnut St, Bastrop, TX 78602:

1:30-3:00 PM - Impacts to Engineering & Surveying Processes.

3:30-5:00 PM - Impacts to Buying & Selling Real Estate.

6:00-7:30 PM - General Information for All Audiences.

The Public is invited to attend any or all of the sessions. 

Launch of MyGovernmentOnline


Bastrop County is excited to announce the launch of the MyGovernmentOnline Permitting and Inspection software on January 7, 2021.  The software will enhance the permit application submittal, plan review and inspection experience for contractors and residents through convenient online services.  Additional information can be found here.

Wilbarger Creek Watershed Study


Bastrop County, with participation from Travis County and the City of Pflugerville, has been awarded a Texas Water Development Board Flood Protection Planning Grant to conduct a floodplain study of the Wilbarger Creek Watershed.  The second round of public meetings were held on December 9th and 10th, 2020 and the presentation from the meeting is available for your review.  The third round of public meetings were held virtually on May 12th and May 13th, 2021 and the presentation is available here.

   Alum Creek Watershed Study

The Alum Creek Watershed Study is complete.  Bastrop County held a public meeting on October 7, 2020 to present the results of a TWDB Flood Protection Planning Study of the Alum Creek Watershed.  The presentation from that public meeting is available for your review.

Bastrop County Infrastructure Requirements for

Lodging & Recreational Vehicle Park Developments


The Bastrop County Commissioners Court adopted the Bastrop County Infrastructure Requirements for Lodging and Recreational Vehicle Park Developments on August 24, 2020. 


Bastrop County Tahitian Village Application for

Development Permit Requirements

Drainage exhibits signed and sealed by a registered professional engineer are required for Tahitian Village application for development permits.  A courtesy review letter will be issued to the applicant upon permit approval.  Please Contact Kala Schwabe, Acting Floodplain Administrator, with any questions at kala.schwabe@co.bastrop.tx.us.

Development Services Permitting Policies

Adopted 10/28/19 by the Bastrop County Commissioners Court

1.  Permits will not be issued for non-compliant property unless there is a health or public safety reason, such as

     failed septic system, and as approved by department head. 

2.  A single application for a Development Permit and OSSF (Septic) Permit is required for the following: 

  • A manufactured home
  • All homes placed on a property with an existing residence or residences
  • Any lot less than 1/2 acre
  • Any lot with less than 1/2 acre outside the floodplain
  • Any lot entirely in the floodplain
  • All commercial development


3.  Floor plans will be submitted with OSSF permit applications.

4.  An addition to an existing structure that includes bedrooms requires septic review.  If a revised septic design is

     required, the development permit will not be issued until an application is made for the revised OSSF system.

5.  Fees for IRS recognized tax-exempt organizations and reciprocating governmental entities will be waived.

6.  Fees for permits necessitated by a declared federal emergency will be waived for those residents rebuilding on

     the same property.  

7.  A onetime six month extension may be granted by the department head if requested 30 days prior to permit



Frequently Asked Questions

  • Bastrop County's Flood Damage Prevention Order defines "development” as any man-made change to improved and unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations or storage of equipment or materials.  A development permit is needed for any development.  There are three types of development permit:

    • “Class A” permits are issued for all development outside the mapped 100-year floodplain,
    • "Conditional Class A" permits are issued for all development outside the mapped 100-year floodplain but on property within the 100-year floodplain, and
    • "Class B" permits are issued for all development that lies partially or wholly within the mapped 100-year floodplain.

    Please see Floodplain Management for further details. 

  • No, Bastrop County does not issue building permits or Certificates of Occupancy.

    Bastrop County has limited statutory authority regarding building codes.  Bastrop County Building Code only applies to the construction of residential single-family homes and duplexes.  There are no Bastrop County Building Codes for any other uses.

    During the 81st legislative session, the Texas Residential Construction Commission (TRCC) was dissolved resulting in the lack of building code requirements in the unincorporated areas of all Texas counties.  The Legislature passed HB 2833, which amended Chapter 233 of the Local Government code by adding Subchapter F.  This amendment provided an opportunity for counties to adopt certain building code standards in the unincorporated areas of the county.

    Bastrop County Commissioners Court passed a resolution on September 14, 2009 adopting provisions of HB 2833.  This action restored residential building code requirements for certain structures that are built in the unincorporated areas of Bastrop County.

    In accordance to HB 2833, residential construction in the unincorporated areas of Bastrop County shall substantially conform to either the version of the International Residential Code published as of May 1, 2008 (which is the 2006 International Residential Code) or the version of the International Residential Code that is applicable in the county seat (City of Bastrop).  HB 2833 requires that the decision of which code to use is the builder’s choice.

    These building code requirements apply in the unincorporated areas of Bastrop County for the construction of a new single-family house or duplex or the construction of an addition to an existing single-family house or duplex (if the addition will increase the square footage or the value of the existing residential building by more than 50%).

    There are three required inspections.  The required inspections must be performed at: (1) the foundation stage, before the placement of concrete; (2) the framing and mechanical systems stage, before covering with drywall or other interior wall covering; and (3) completion of construction of the residence.  For remodeling construction to an existing residence, the inspection requirements shall be performed as necessary based on the scope of work of the construction project.

    In accordance with the provisions of HB 2833, as adopted by Bastrop County, the County is not involved in the inspection process for the residential structure.  The builder is responsible for contracting to perform the required inspections with: (1) a licensed engineer; (2) a registered architect; (3) a professional inspector licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission; (4) a plumbing inspector employed by a municipality and licensed by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners; (5) a building inspector employed by a political subdivision; or (6) an individual certified as a residential combination inspector by the International Code Council.  A builder may use the same inspector for all the required inspections or a different inspector for each required inspection.

    It is the builder’s responsibility to (1) comply with these requirements, (2) have the required inspections performed, and (3) maintain copies of the inspection reports.  There is no requirement to provide copies of reports to Bastrop County.

  • No, Bastrop County does not have general zoning authority in the unincorporated areas.  Under the provisions of the Airport Zoning Act (Chapter 241, Texas Local Government Code) a small area in the northwest part of the county is subject to airport zoning per an Order Regulating and Restricting Use of Property near the Austin Executive Airport. 


    There is zoning inside the incorporated limits of the Cities of Bastrop, Elgin and Smithville.