You may request to take a driver safety coursefor ticket dismissal. This option is not available to holders of a commercial driver's license.
You may request deferred disposition, where the justice of the peace my defer final disposition of a case and grant a period for probation-like conditions to be met by the defendant, under Art. 45.051, V.A.C.C.P. Note: This option is not available to holders of a commercial driver's license.
Driver Safety Course Eligibility Requirements for Ticket Dismissal:
* The following could make you ineligible to take a Driver Safety / Defensive driving course in Texas*:
1. You hold a Commercial Drivers License (CDL);
2. You completed an Court-ordered driver safety course within the 12 months preceding the date of the offense for another ticket.
3. You do not have a Texas Drivers License
4. You were charged with speeding in excess of 25 mph over the posted speed limit, committing an offense in a construction zone when workers are present, or passing a school bus while loading or unloading children.
5. You were cited for failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility (proof of insurance)
*It is recommend that even if you are considered ineligible for one or more of the reasons above that you still contact the court to determine your eligibility.
IF YOU WISH TO TAKE A DRIVER SAFETY COURSE, PLEASE SEE THE BELOW OPTIONS:
(Option #1) – Request in Person Your first option after receiving a ticket is to appear in person or by counsel to court on or before the date listed on the ticket.
After entering a plea of no contest or guilty, if eligible, the judge will require that you successfully complete a Texas Education Agency (TEA) approved driver safety course or another course approved by the court.
(Option #2) – Request in Writing Your second option after receiving a traffic ticket is to request in writing to take defensive driving. This written requirement can most often be satisfied by simply filling out the back portion of the ticket itself and mailing it back to the court.
The back of the ticket allows you to enter a plea of no contest or guilty and request to take a driver safety course that is approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
IF APPROVED TO TAKE THE COURSE, THE COURT WILL SEND YOU A LETTER. DO NOT TAKE THE COURSE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED.
You will need to send a money order in the amount of $110.10
Send the payment to:
Justice of the Peace, Pct. #1
P.O. Box 336,
Bastrop, TX 78602
IF YOU ARE UNDER 25 YEARS OF AGE, YOU MUST TAKE, THE DRIVER SAFTY COURSE AND THE ALIVE AT 25 COURSE.
The court fee is the same as normal DSC of $108.10.
Alive at 25 is a highly-effective four-hour course that serves as an excellent complement to standard driver education programs.
If you wish to take the class in Bastrop, Texas please see the below information. There are other Alive at 25 classes around Texas and other states.
Next Classes: February 11th, 2012 8:00 AM through 12:30 PM
Location: Bastrop County Sheriff's Office
200 Jackson ST
Bastrop, TX 78602
Contact Crime Prevention:
Wayne Wood 512-549-5069